The Society of Police Futurists International (PFI)
is an organization of law enforcement practitioners,educators, researchers,
private security specialists, technology experts and other professionals
dedicated to improving criminal and social justice through the professionalization
of policing. Futures Research (long-range planning and forecasting)
is the pivotal discipline that constitutes the philosophical underpinnings
of PFI. The tools and techniques of this field are applied in order
to more accurately anticipate and prepare for the evolution of law
enforcement ten, twenty, and even fifty years into the future. Futures
Research offers both philosophical and methodological tools to analyze,
forecast, and plan in ways rarely seen in policing in the past.
The strength of PFI lies in the participation of it's members as
we engage in dialogue and collaborate on research on the future
of the policing profession. Membership
inquiries click here.The Society of Police Futurists International
(PFI) was founded in August, 1991 and incorporated as a 501(c)(3)
nonprofit organization in April, 1992. The current By-Laws may be found here.
- To foster excellence in policing by promoting and applying the
discipline of Futures Research.
- Encourage partnerships between law enforcement, the academic community and private industry;
- Develop information transfer concerning police futures research to its members;
- Develop, analyze and interpret long range forecasts;
- Provide and promote education and training in the application of long range forecasting and the use of technology; and
- Serve as a clearinghouse for the communication of innovative and proactive policing strategies.
- Updated By-Laws as approved at the annual board meeting 2009.